Monday, November 8, 2010

You Have To Be More Aggressive

When I was about 8 or 9, I played on an indoor soccer team.  After weeks of practice and trying to master the skills associated with soccer, I found myself mostly sitting the bench only playing a couple of minutes at the end of the game.  Granted it was my first time playing soccer, and I realize I didn't have the skills that a lot of the other players had, but I felt like I was being slighted and my quite demeanor and cowadice dictated that I would never ask the coach to put me in or let me play more.  My response at that age was more along the lines of feeling sorry for myself and thinking that I couldn't do it.

I remember one Saturday game, while the game was ongoing, I was basically sitting on the bench looking forlorn.  I look up to see my dad walking torward me from around the outside of the field.  I get up and meet him as he is walking and he takes one look at me and says, "What's wrong?"  My response was to tear up, lean into him for the expected consoling and comfort that I always recieve from him, and declare (whine) "I never get to play."

As he embraced me, I very distinctly remember him speaking these words to me..."son, you have to be more aggressive."  I will admit that at the time, this enlightenment did not take root.  It wasn't for a couple of years still when I would understand the intent of his advice and put it into practice.  I will admit, (with great delight) that once I integrated this advice into my person...it became a permanent, persistent feature of my personality.  Eventually shyness went away, sports became fun, and I set out to accomplish everything I did with a confidence that I was going to not only succeed, but that I was going to be the best there was.  Obviously, being the best there is at something didn't always pan out, but that mindset runs deep and it still is at the forefront of most of my endeavors.

Even today, as an adult, a lot of my drive is motivated by being "the best there is."  In a lot of areas, competition with others is uncalled for so I compete with myself and the excepted norms.  For example, I would never compete with other preachers to see who's best, but I do push myself to know God more and more so that I can be more and more effective as His servant.  Most areas of my life get the same or similar type efforts.  I have often been recognized for my intensity which is in large part part of my drive to be the best there is.  In love, in life, in work, in play, in spirit, in every positive area...I don't want to be adequate, or even good.  I want to be the best there is!

I realize that part of my aggression is provoked by pride, and I realize that to much or the wrong type of pride can be hazardous, but I am confident that keeping God first will keep me in a place of confidence without slipping over to the pride path that leads to destruction.

So reader...how aggressive are you?

1 comment:

  1. That is a good question. I've never been described as or thought of myself as aggressive. Nor am I particulary intense. Maybe it's a guy thing? I guess there are things that I'm passionate about. I'll have to ponder this question a little more and get back to you.

    ReplyDelete